Saturday, September 24, 2011

Have You Seen Jesus My Lord? – John Fischer


He was a founder. Of what, you say? Someone might say he found Jesus Christ, and helped others do the same. He was 23 years old, had been out of college for just a year, and was probably still feeling the effects of his experience on the American west coast as a young adult. Studying for ministry was probably also still fresh, along with the influence of his mentor.  These probably impacted his life for many years, in fact. What made John Fischer write a song with a question mark? “Have You Seen Jesus My Lord?” The way he asks the question in the song initially seems rhetorical…’of course’, you want to answer. But, notice how he shifts gears midway through his composition, and see if he’s not asking you to look at yourself, too.

John Fischer went to college (Wheaton) in Illinois before he went to the west coast for mentorship in Christian ministry at Peninsula Bible Church in Palo Alto, California in the late 1960s. You can imagine what the times were like, if you’ve ever heard of the 1960’s. Vietnam, Peace Movement, Jesus Freaks…all familiar ground for John Fischer, especially since he was a college student during that time. His mentor at the church in Palo Alto was Ray Stedman, a friend and adviser to many like John Fischer, with a reputation as a gentle, humble, and generous spirit. And, there was the central California coast, with its Pacific Ocean-front view. Can you picture the sunsets? All these factors no doubt contributed to John Fischer’s thoughts in 1970, as he composed his song with a question mark.  He hasn’t recorded if a particular incident or multiple circumstances compelled him to write the song, but its words give us clues. He was struck by His creation, the ocean he experienced and the magnificent California sky at dusk that he observed.  Could anyone deny the reality of deity when taking in such marvels, Fischer asks. The Jesus movement’s simple message also comes out in Fischer’s music. See Him, horizontally and vertically. The ‘get Jesus’ proposition with a folk rock beat cannot be ignored. It’s a love message straight out of the ‘make-peace-not-war’ times, with a divine streak in it. 

What’s common to you and me? John Fischer saw four things, all of ‘em free. There’s no cover charge for the ocean and the sunset, not for the others I have around me, nor for what He’s done for me.  John Fischer’s simple questions ask my elemental acknowledgement of the obvious. Nothing else is asked of me…it’s an evangelism that’s not pushy. He doesn’t even really tell me to worship Him, just see Him. Admit He’s there. Then, let my conscience take me in the logical direction. Is that so hard?  

1 comment:

Guy Page said...

Hello, Mr. Cain! This is a great blog. I met John Fischer years ago when he came up to do a benefit concert for a homeless shelter I was working with in Burlington, VT. Just wanted you to know that we sang "Come Share The Lord" last Sunday and it was greatly moving and I have passed along to my church your account of the song's history. This is a good ministry you have. I am a Christian blogger too. - Guy Page, Cambridge VT