Friday, July 2, 2010

Holy Holy -- Jimmy Owens

KISS - Keep it simple stupid. It’s not too much of a stretch to say that this was the method that Jimmy Owens used when he composed the song “Holy Holy” in 1972. He’d had lots of experience already with music by that time, as a minister and a collaborator on many productions, so he’s capable of being intricate. Yet, with all that experience, it’s revealing that he says that simplicity says it best when it comes to worship. When I talk to God, ‘don’t flower it up, don’t try to impress Him’, Owens says in this song.

The song “Holy Holy” was written as part of the Owens’ (Jimmy’s and his wife Carol’s) hit musical “Come Together: A Musical Experience in Love”, which in 1972 was the first musical they composed for a large arena. It’s said that the musical’s influence helped transform contemporary worship, and indeed the song “Holy Holy” from that musical is still in many hymnals today. Owens says the idea with the tune was mainly to create something that could be easily learned and sung by a church immediately. It’s so simple, a child could sing it. So, if you think the song’s childish, you’ve just complimented Owens, really. That’s the idea, and it’s something I too often forget when I think of relating to God. The song’s verses tell me with a plain, childlike approach what exactly I’m supposed to be doing when I open my mouth and make music. The song’s so simple, that in fact, that’s part of its message to me. I’m a fallible being, and in order to relate to a perfect God, I need something that I can’t mess up to give back to Him.

So, sing to your God with Owens’ verses, and let them remind you of the Trinity’s role in your life as a believer. Father: grace-giver. Jesus: savior-sacrifice. Spirit: indwelling helper. What – you already know all this? Owens doesn’t complicate the basics of my faith in the song, but instead tells me to put all those beliefs into a jingle that I can hum easily, daily. Owens’ song, from the heart of a musical God, communicates something elemental. God makes my bond with Him simple, intentionally. He’s already done the complex, impossible stuff for me. I’m not God, but in Holy Holy, I can mimic His musical nature. Still think this is just a kid’s song?

See the following website on Jimmy and Carol Owens: http://jimmyandcarolowens.com/

Information on the song’s background is found in the book “God Songs-How to Write and Select Songs for Worship”, by Paul Baloche and Jimmy and Carol Owens, copyright 2004, leadworship.com.

Also see: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jimmy_and_Carol_Owens

1 comment:

stephenlbowie said...

"Come Together" was foundational in my nurture as a young Christian and budding musician. A penpal had performed and recorded with with her church youth choir - and I think I burned holes in the disc playing it over and over.

Stephen Bowie
Pastor, Third Presbyterian Church
Rockford, Illinois