Thursday, June 24, 2010

In Remembrance – Ragan Courtney and Buryl Red

I’m a signpost. I hope that I’m a good one for God, and as I offer this scoop, I’m a double-signpost, one who’s pointing to a fellow signpost named Ragan Courtney, who in turn is engaged in pointing us to the Holy One. He offers this scoop in his own words below, telling us how he came to write the words in the song “In Remembrance”, and also how he felt when he heard the music that Buryl Red composed, bonding with his words and making this poignant melody. Its beauty and its viewpoint suggest to the worshipper that God is speaking to us – and that makes its message impossible to ignore. This song was written for the musical "Celebrate Life!" The Baptist Sunday School Board had asked me and Buryl Red to write yet another musical cantata to reinforce some particular catichemisic ideas for young people. It was not something that I found particularly exciting, so I put it off as I was busy with my life in the theater in New York City. A musical that I had written and acted in on Broadway had just closed and I had to face the fact that I had failed at my life's dream. In a deep scene of failure and depression, I went to an island in the Caribbean to try and recoup some sense of self esteem. I became deeper and deeper depressed, and in despair tried to take my own life. In the attempt, I was powerfully reminded that God loved me even as a failure. I turned from brokenness and found that Christ was there for me. In this renewal I began writing the book and lyrics to "Celebrate Life!" In the euphoric high of a new beginning, I understood the powerful words of the title that the Baptist had given me as a new musical work; but, suddenly, it was full of possibilities and I wrote it very quickly. If I had missed the gospel most of my life, perhaps others had done the same thing. I need to tell them that life in Christ is a celebration. I remember writing "In Remembrance" so quickly that I thought that it could not be a very good lyric. It poured out of my pen effortlessly. A couple of months later after I heard the music that Buryl had set to my words, I was stunned at its beauty. I really had no idea. Now years later it is in many hymnals and I hear from people all around the world who have used this song to aid them in worship. "Open your heart and let your brother in" the lyric says. That is what I did thirty-nine years ago and I am still celebrating! Ragan Courtney Thanks to Ragan! Your authentic story makes God’s movement in the song you and Buryl wrote very special and memorable. It’s great to remember that Jesus gave His life, and saved yours so He could touch you to write this song for all of us. What a great God! The text of Ragan Courtney’s story is from an e:mail he shared with me on 6/21/2010. http://www.sanctuaryaustin.com/about.html
(site of the Sanctuary Church where the Courtneys minister) http://www.worldinprayer.org/class/Blessings.pdf
( the song is part of the musical ‘Celebrate Life’)

No comments: