Wednesday, February 20, 2019

Blue Skies and Rainbows – Gary Mabry


He says it was a special moment, which had been building for several days during a summer trip in 1971. Thanks to Gary Mabry being an alert believer and gifted with a music gene from above, he was in a perfect position to craft “Blue Skies and Rainbows” in just a few moments. Do you suppose Gary felt a little bit like Noah (seen here in this Joseph Anton Koch painting, circa 1803) when he saw a rainbow once? In my e:mail conversation with him recently, it was clear that this was a moment Gary won’t ever forget. And now, we have access to that moment through the song and the story he shared with me. Here’s a piece of it below in what I call a ‘fresh scoop’ of song (see some other ‘fresh scoops’ in the label-cloud for this blog, which are generally unknown stories that I’ve managed to dig up and provide here)…so thanks, and blessings Gary for what you’ve created!

He (Stanley Shipp) encouraged me to sign up to go on a Christ in Europe (trip) then next (1971) summer.  Through the financial support of people like Moses McCook, owner of Athletic Supply and my across the street neighbor on Peach Street, I was able to go.  We spent the first leg of the trip in Lisbon, Portugal.  The second part of the trip happened in Lausanne, Switzerland, culminating in a short stay in Geneva, where he had worked several years before.  The experiences of the campaign: a Gospel Meeting in Lisbon with Glenn Owen preaching in Portuguese, Bible studies and conversations on the street with youth, experiencing the universal language of music as our chorus (partially populated by a group from Lubbock Christian College), singing at the meeting each evening, leading singing in French in the Switzerland part of the trip, seeing the beauty of the Swiss Alps at a chalet owned by Highland member Jack McGlothlin had filled my head and heart and was just incubating to find a meaningful form of expression.  I had experienced Jesus being alive in people and in nature. It came on the flight back to the states.  I looked out the window and saw a rainbow on this clear day far above the earth.  I had a small notepad with me and began to jot down what I feel was an inspired few moments.  In my study of music so far, I had learned to notate rhythm and use the solfege syllables for melody.  “Blue skies and rainbows, and sunbeams from heaven are what I can see when my Lord is living in me…Jesus is well and alive today!  He makes his home in my heart.  Nevermore will I be all alone, since he promised me that we never would part.” From the time in Lausanne: “Green grass and flowers, all blooming in springtime, are works of the Master I live for each day.” From the Swiss Alps, as we slid down a meadow slope on sheets of cardboard: “Tall mountains, green valleys, the beauty that surrounds me, all make me aware of the One Who made it all.”

Keep looking for those rainbows and other ways He speaks to us in nature, everyone! Gary’s words say all that needs to be said further here today. Keep those antennae up! 

No comments: