Sunday, July 20, 2014

You Are My Way -- Alecia Nault



Do you pay attention to road signs (maybe like this one shown here, from the United Kingdom)?  
I sure do, at least most of them, how about you? Probably, most often I watch them intently when I’m in unfamiliar territory, searching for the correct path. But once I’ve travelled that same way a few times, I tend to ignore the signs, and so if something changes unexpectedly, I’m once again examining the signs. Alecia Nault may have realized that same sequence of events along a new road she traveled in the spring of 2014, when she unpredictably wrote a song “You Are My Way”. She must have been around new babies before, but she says something about an episode in that year -- as a mother – made a difference in how she sang to one of her sons. He was new, at least in terms of years…could it be that God was saying ‘You need a new song, my daughter’ ? Here’s how Alecia describes what happened.

I've never even thought about writing songs. I've always loved to write, and singing has always been a passion, but it never occurred to me that I was qualified to combine the two. Becoming a mother changed that. As I sing my boys to sleep, songs I've sung forever take on new meaning, and sometimes, they take on a life of their own. But one night this spring (2014), the words of "You Are My Way" floated into my heart, as Jericho (Alecia’s son) slept in my arms. The melody and the lyrics seemed new to me, but it was as if I had known them all along, it came out so naturally. It was scary to share it; the vulnerability of showing your heart to someone is terrifying. But with my husband's support, and the help of Sam Souder's incredible arranging talents, it became a "real song", complete with 4-part harmony. I truly feel like God put this song on my heart, and I am completely humbled by the support I have received for sharing this song.

Alecia’s story could also be Jericho’s story too, right? It’s said that children learn most or all of their most important lessons from parents. So, it wouldn’t be surprising if Jericho Nault – the first ears, perhaps, to hear his mom’s song that Spring – someday retells the story of ‘You Are My Way’. He’ll no doubt hear who the ‘You’ is in the song, and why He’s described with words applicable to no other being – Hope, Truth, the Way. Alecia and her husband Lee will probably share lots of stories with their kids about Him, passed on from generations long gone, about trails others have followed. But, since the Naults have never been parents before, their road will likely have twists and turns they might not be able to predict (watch out!). New song alert…there just might be other tunes waiting to pop out of their souls! Stay tuned to this channel, world.

The only source for the song story is an e:mail this blogger received from the composer on 15 July 2014. Thanks Alecia for this ‘fresh song scoop’!

No comments: