Saturday, April 7, 2012

Majesty -- Jack Hayford


He was 43 years old, and doing what most tourists do when in England. Looking for the royals, especially in 1977 when they were celebrating in style, no doubt. It’s not really wrong to gawk at them, and utter ‘Wow, they really do look like they do on TV!” How often have you managed to actually see someone famous, or powerful, and photogenic? Did you cower, or feel your pulse race a little? Perhaps those were the thoughts that went through Jack Hayford’s mind that day in England when the song “Majesty” began to gestate in his consciousness. Think back to such an instant when you saw someone whose reputation preceded him or her – a star. Did that prepare you to meet the ‘star’ of the next life? 

Jack and Anna Hayford happened to be on vacation in Britain during the 25th anniversary celebration of Queen Elizabeth’s reign. That, and seeing Winston Churchill’s birthplace, placed a seed-thought within them as they drove from place to place. ‘How awesome is the King Eternal?’, they pondered. They were moved to realize that the King they were serving wants us as believers to share his ministry, His purpose, and His life with Him. I’m His ambassador (2 Cor. 5:20; Eph. 6:20), granting me some measure of His power as I travel through my world. When they arrived back home in Van Nuys, California, Jack completed the thoughts that had germinated in England. He wanted believers to appreciate the strength we gather when in worship, to draw upon Him. That experience translates to me a confidence that propels me forward, meeting the world with buoyancy, a poise that otherwise I would not have. It’s not just a theory with Hayford, but an experience, undoubtedly flowing from his Pentecostal background, that he wants to convey.  Worship is God’s tool to remake me and energize me for His use, to communicate His divine authority. Do I always sense this?  What if I did?     

Who have you seen close up that makes your eyes widen in recognition and, yes, a little awe? Senators Richard Lugar, Chuck Robb, and Ted Kennedy, and there’s Bill Clinton and George H.W. Bush, and football stars from the 1950s\1960s, Jim Brown (Cleveland Browns), and 1980s, Charles Mann (Washington Redskins). Those would be the names I would mention as American ‘royalty’ that I have actually seen close-up.  But, I’m still here to tell about it. Seeing God that way…that would mean death, at least in Moses’ time.  But, no more. I’ve never asked American ‘royalty’ for any favors, I guess because I’m too dumbstruck to think of what I could want from them when I see them. An autograph, maybe? What would they say if I asked for a little of their limelight, or some of their wealth? With the heavenly King, He’s anxious for me to really look upon Him, and to seek His Kingdom, and aim for the blessings that come through partnering with Him. Stargazing has its draw, but it’s always a one-way street. Try STAR-gazing, Hayford writes, if you want something really valuable in return.  

The book  “The Complete Book of Hymns – Inspiring Stories About 600 Hymns and Praise Songs”, by William J. and Ardythe Petersen, 2006, Tyndale House Publishers, is the source for the story.

http://www.jackhayford.org/page3-15/AboutPastorJackHayford

No comments: