Friday, May 6, 2011

Heavenly Father, We Appreciate You – Anonymous


Why do I need God in three forms? Otherwise put, why the Trinity? Isn’t it confusing relating to one Divine Being, not to mention three? There’s many art masterpieces that depict the Trinity, most often with the Spirit as a dove, while in contrast the Father and Son appear human-like, rather than God-like. (I wish I could write something stunning to match one of these masterpieces, like the one shown here by Bartolomeo Esteban Murillo, painted circa. 1665-1670). Well, maybe the writer of the song “Heavenly Father, We Appreciate You” had figured out the answer, or perhaps had struggled through this conundrum like me in order to come to some understanding of Him. The song’s writer is in fact not known, so in this anonymity, each of us is free to write his or her own song story here. Just for ease of discussion, let’s pretend that all of us are the writers of this song’s words, and we’ll call ourselves collectively the anonymous writer ‘Anon’ (short for Anonymous).


Anon must have gone through various phases of relationship with Him, based on the three verses he has us sing. Father, Son, Holy Ghost. The Father, the One to whom I prostrate myself -- a ‘bowing down’, as I conclude the opening verse. I think that Anon must have felt particularly humbled because of his own most recent experience in sin (whatever it was), and the utter ignominy he felt that contact with the Most Holy One inspired. I might feel this way, acutely, only occasionally. But, its remnants stick with me, and I need genuine submission and the resulting freedom from guilt for a healthy faith. The Son causes Anon to marvel. He came to become less than God, somehow – an amazing thing. And, He must have known I’d be incapable of recovery from contact with the Father, if the shame were not excised from my consciousness somehow. In a word, He gave Anon and the rest of us a MIRACLE, a way out of jail for every wrong thought, deed, or word. Anon, like me, must have had plenty of those in his debt column when he wrote this song. The Spirit is here to keep me company, but not just for friendship, but advice too. Anon probably felt lonely at times, and empty about his life’s purpose. With his companion, the vacuum disappeared, at least when he maintained contact.


Sound familiar? There’s many facets to any relationship, which may explain why He’s three persons for me to know and appreciate. Appreciate? ‘Is that too tame?’, someone complains. Maybe, if you’re trying to thank Him or say you love Him. But, appreciation can also mean (according to Websters’) that I value something justly, that He gets from me what He really deserves. Something of true value also appreciates over time; it gets better and better. That’s God, when I keep messing up and He refuses to discard me or demote me when I come running home. His Son’s blood keeps on washing…keeps on amazing me with its endless cleansing power. The Counselor-Comforter-Friend stays with me, but refuses to overpower me, even when I douse Him. He knows me, even better than I know myself. Still think of yourself as ‘Anon’? I bet God doesn’t call you that.

No comments: