Saturday, January 23, 2010

O Worship the King – Robert Grant

Robert Grant probably was probably accustomed to a big chair, if not a throne like a king might occupy. He was a governor of Bombay, India in the 19th Century, and was from a family familiar with power. His father, Charles Grant, also had been among India’s leadership, a member of the British Parliament, and a voice of influence in the Anglican Church. Robert’s adult life mirrored his father’s, from India, to Britain, and toward God. With such an upbringing, it might have been easy for Robert to assume position, and power, and even respect were his by default, perhaps even gifts from God. Yet, the song “O Worship the King” that we have from his pen shows that Grant appreciated God’s supremacy, His Kingship. Grant’s life-experience was laudable -- a medical college in Bombay bears his name – but the song gives us a better window on him than his resume might have. Grant re-worked in 1833 the lyrics that were first written by William Kethe for the Genevan Psalter printed in 1561; and, Grant’s song-poem was among several that his brother Charles had published in 1839, the year after Robert died in India. The verses I have known since childhood, and the less well-known words I have only just discovered, tell me something about Robert Grant, about his attitude. He doesn’t dwell on his own experience much, nor tries to say what God had done for him. No, the focus is on God’s attributes, about what makes Him worthy. That’s not really a surprise, is it? It wouldn’t be, if Grant were an otherwise obscure figure with ordinary talents, who needed to attach himself to something great and majestic. This was the soon-to-be Governor Grant of Bombay in 1834, and future member of Parliament. Humility -- it’s not exactly what I’d expect to find from a newsworthy, powerful governor, or some other public celebrity. Grant spends only a few words in one verse to describe each of us and himself as frail, feeble beings. Not much need for more words, is there? Part of Grant’s message is that I don’t need to say much to God to let Him know how I compare myself to Him. Did Robert Grant have some tough days in the office? Did subordinates come in with high expectations, but with problems he couldn’t solve? Probably, and maybe there were times when he felt like chuckin’ the job, the high position, and giving it to somebody else. That’s when I need my King most in my workday. Many times I’m just not smart enough to figure out things. He is. Perhaps pointing toward the King was how Robert Grant unburdened himself. Yes, I need to handle my responsibilities, but this King is my Perfection, too. Robert Grant reminds me He also is my Shield, Defender, Maker, Friend…in fact, what things is the King not able to be for me? He’s all the things I try - haphazardly - to be, but He’s perfect at them. That’s why He’s the King. Information on the song was obtained from the books “101 Hymn Stories”, by Kenneth W. Osbeck, Kregel Publications, 1982; “Amazing Grace – 366 Inspiring Hymn Stories for Daily Devotions”, by Kenneth W. Osbeck, 1990; and “The Complete Book of Hymns – Inspiring Stories About 600 Hymns and Praise Songs”, by William J. and Ardythe Petersen, 2006. Also see the following website for information on Grant and more verses to the song: http://www.cyberhymnal.org/htm/o/w/owtking.htm

No comments: