Saturday, February 21, 2009

Sing Hallelujah to the Lord - Linda Stassen

If you heard someone mention hippies, Jesus freaks, and communes, or phrases like "free love", "One Way",or "Just Drop Jesus"(instead of ‘dropping acid’), you might think you’d stepped into a time machine and been transported to the 1970s. And, you’d be right. These words were coined during the Jesus (or Jesus People) movement in that decade. Instead of saying ‘I’m walking with the Lord’, a believer might have said he was ‘Truckin’ with Jesus’ 35 years ago. It was an era when college campuses vented frustration over the Vietnam War, the government, and American culture at large.

The counterculture reaction extended to Christianity too, so that most Jesus People rejected orthodox, organized churches in favor of simpler (at least to them) methods used in exercising faith. Such well-known evangelistic organizations as Jews for Jesus came from that era. And, many of today’s contemporary Christian music artists’ roots were in the Jesus People movement, in groups with names like the All Saved Freak Band, Petra, Love Song, Resurrection Band, Second Chapter of Acts, and Joyful Noise. Maranatha music was also spawned from a church of that time, Calvary Chapel, in Costa Mesa, California. One of its ‘freaks’, Linda Stassen, is the composer of the song “Sing Hallelujah to the Lord”, a tune still familiar in mainline churches in the U.S today. Linda Stassen’s “Sing Hallelujah to the Lord” is a very simple song, known not only by Americans, but also by people across the globe, including Europeans, Chinese, Persians, and Eskimos, testifying to its broad acceptance. One wonders whether Stassen knew what would eventually happen to one of her Calvary Chapel experiments.

“Sing Hallelujah to the Lord”, although beautiful in its simplicity, is a somewhat unusual praise song. Can you picture its composer, perhaps wearing a tie-dyed shirt, raggedy shorts and sandals, and maybe a flower in her hair? Not exactly what most of us today would recommend for your Sunday morning garb, huh? And, in keeping with the unconventional flow, her musical invention was different. Consider a proper hallelujah…most song-writers probably would begin with a bright and upbeat major key to aptly, and musically express praise to God, correct? Not Stassen. She wrote this song in a minor key (C minor). Why? Was she trying to fail?! The combination of Stassen’s musical chords and the words she chose tell us that perhaps she began to compose by drawing on how she felt viscerally about God, and what mood she wanted to convey. As we sing, we can sense that she was moved by the awesome, haunting sense of what God had accomplished for her, and wanted to express that feeling through the music structure, in a minor key. Did you notice that the minor key matches what we sing about Jesus rising from the dead in verse two (an awesome, overwhelming event), and that other things we sing about our king in the song -- his reign in the church and over earth, and his sure return to claim us -- should make us sense the majesty, and the greatness of our Lord, with deep reverence. It makes me re-evaluate the significance of this song’s message to my spirit. I used to think it’s just a simple tune that I could hum in a carefree way, but now I think it’s something I need to contemplate and dwell upon, and so carry myself to respect and honor Him in all that I do. …kind of an unexpected lesson from a freak.

 Information on Linda Stassen in the story was gathered from the “The Complete Book of Hymns: Inspiring Stories about 600 Hymns and Praise Songs”, by William J. and Ardythe Petersen, Tyndale House Publishers, Inc. Information on the “Jesus People Movement” was gathered from the following Wikipedia site: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jesus_movement.

17 comments:

Unknown said...

Do you know what ever became of Linda Stassen Benjamin? I've lost track of her. I do know she got divorced and may now be Linda Stassen, her maiden name. I knew her well long ago, when she first wrote Sing Hallelujah. She sang it at my wedding and I know she wrote many other beautiful songs. If you know how to contact her, please let me know. I'd love to re-connect with her again. Thank you. Susi Meredith, Ozark, Missouri

ThePathological said...

Her sister Marilyn is actually a member of the church where I grew up in Erin, TN. I had the pleasure of meeting Ms. Stassen in person, though it was about 10 years ago.

Unknown said...

I did speak with Linda's sister Marilyn's husband in 2010 and found out Linda is/was living near Fresno, CA. I called and left a message for her, she called me back and left me a message....we played "phone tag" a couple times....then last time I tried to call her that number had been disconnected. So I'm back to square one, I guess. By the way, a bit of trivia - Linda wrote Sing Hallelujah in the Shower! She taught it to her friends, we all started working out harmonies and the "echo" parts singing it and teaching it at home bible studies....and it just snowballed from there. Chuck Smith from Calvary Chapel had heard about the song growing in popularity among small bible study groups meeting in people's homes and asked Linda to come onstage at a Calvary Chapel, Costa Mesa, CA church service and teach it to everyone present. After that, she recorded it on their next Maranatha Praise album and it took off from there and went around the globe....It has been recorded in MANY different languages and can be found in millions of Hymnals for just about every denomination and I even found it in an old copy of a "Campfire Sing Along" songbook.

David Cain said...

Hey, thanks for sharing Susi!

Gregoree said...

I thank God that the Holy Spirit inspired Linda Stassen to write this song, it is my all time favourite.I too would like to know how to contact her just to say thankyou.

Gregoree said...

I thank God that the Holy Spirit inspired Linda Stassen to write this song, it is my all time favourite.I too would like to know how to contact her just to say thankyou.

KarlaB said...

I have been trying to find Linda Stassen for obtaining permission to arrange her song, Sing Hallelujah for my daughter's Fine Arts piece. Any help would be greatly appreciated, since no "big-name" company is overseeing the copyrights of her song, it's very difficult to come by the permissions! We've pretty much settled on her song, so I need to find her, somehow!

Unknown said...

I have lost contact with Linda :-( Last I heard she was no longer living in California. Here's what I DO know: You do NOT need permission to do a different arrangement of a song just to perform it onstage. You DO need permission if a song will be published, recorded, (video or audio) FOR PROFIT. If the recording (or sheet music) will be for sale or if a video recording will be broadcast on TV, then you MUST get permission from the composer and whoever holds the Publishing. Last I knew, Linda's sister and brother in law were handling Linda's business regarding her songs. I remember seeing an address in Erin, Tennessee for "New Song Publishing" (which is owned by Linda). That's where her sister lives. She & her husband handle all the paperwork, permissions, royalties, etc. for New Song. If it's just a live performance, even video taped, but not going to be SOLD or create profit, then you don't need permission. Hope that helps :-)

Unknown said...

Do you know Marilyn's mailing address for New Song Publishing? She handles all the paperwork for Linda's music. Someone named Karla just posted in these comments today, needing to write for permission to use Linda's song. I only know their home office is in Erin, Tennessee. I've lost track of Linda :-(

Unknown said...

Linda's sister & her husband in Erin, Tennessee handle all the paperwork, permissions, royalties, etc. for New Song. (Linda's publishing company. They run the New Song office). If it's just a live performance, even video taped, but not going to be SOLD or create profit, then you don't need permission. Hope that helps :-) I posted a detailed reply on your Teen Challenge website.

Unknown said...

Here's the address & phone listed for "NEW SONG CREATIONS", the office of Linda Stassen's publishing co. Which I just found listed in the online yellow pages phone book! http://m.yp.com/erin-tn/mip/new-song-creations-25960046

Unknown said...

I did reply but it is not visible yet :-(

David Cain said...

Music-lovers: I don't know the whereabouts of Linda, sorry. If you discover her, let me know.

Unknown said...

Performing a variation of the song WITHOUT prior consent might, in fact, be the fastest and easiest way of finding the mysterious Linda Stassen! ;)

Unknown said...

Linda, was a housemate and sometimes "nanny" to my children before she met and married Andrew. That was in 1978/1979. I have not seen her since then. She was a meek, quiet and sweet woman with beautiful long curly blonde hair. She was kind and generous to a fault.
I remember one evening she was working on a song and I sat down on the piano bench with her and as she sang, I sang a counter melody/harmony. She did finish and publish it. She called it "Heart to Heart".
I am sorry to hear she is no longer married to Andrew. He was also a very thoughtful and kind, caring person.
I too would love to contact her again.

John said...

I grew up going to a Jesus People type church in the 1970's called Redeamer's Temple in Denver Co. It was a loving church where the rubber meets the road type place, sometimes the preacher (we had 3 pastors) would not even preach, we would just sing, mostly lead by the congregation. Once the pastor jokingly said to a man near the front that he knew that the man was having a closer walk with God because he now carried a comb, (he had long hair). See there were people coming, looking......... Well it was good days, I really can't say much, I feel like it is talking about a love that most have never known. Maybe someday I'll touch the gates again. Now I'm like Siddhartha thinking about leaving the city where I have live for years now,....... emailbevington@yahoo.com (Rockport TX)

marta.sitku said...

Does anyone have new information about Linda or New Song Creations LLC? It seems the company is permanently closed. Who is handling then licencing requests? Thanks a lot in advance.